Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Help!




The other day I was working on the old truck and the time came to start welding.  I have read a few articles about those wire feed welders.  It was time to turn on the welder, and get to it.  However, let me make this clear, “I did not read the instructions.”  I took some scrap steel, hooked up the ground clamp, and flipped the switch.  Helmet on!  Touch the wire to the metal… nothing!  What?  Try it again. Nothing!  I didn’t want to do it, but I was stumped, so I called my friend who owns the welder to see if I was missing something.  After a while he came down to the garage and we talked about the problem.  I watched ever so closely.  He checked the ground, turned the switch on, touched the wire to the metal, and fire jumped everywhere!
“Hey, how did you do that?”
“Well you just pull the trigger!”
“Ooohh!!  The trigger!!”

How is it that a simple little thing such as ‘the trigger’ can make a guy feel so ignorant?  Why is it so hard for a man to ask for help?  I just needed someone to teach me how to pull the trigger.  It is funny how a little help can make all the difference in a day.  I’m welding now.  It may not be pretty, but I am welding.

I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come?  My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.  He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber.                                                                     Psalms 121:1-3 (ESV)

2 comments:

  1. "You're not alone, all by yourself.
    You need to know when to ask for help.
    It's not weakness, we're all in it together.
    The paradox, for a man...
    Lettin' go to be strong again.
    Stand up, we can face it together,
    When you're with a band of brothers."

    --Bruce Matthews

    ReplyDelete
  2. This thought from a good friend of mine in Three Rivers, MI.

    I am as unknowing about how to register my comment to your blog as you were to pull the trigger on your welder. For what it's worth, here's my little comment.

    "I don't know the why of it. But I know that whatever it is that keeps us thinking we should be independent is not God's idea. We're made for giving what we can share. And for receiving gratefully what others can contribute to our welfare. Thank you for sharing your stories, your wisdom."

    God bless you, real good !
    Father Mike Hazard
    mhazard@tds.net

    ReplyDelete